Sunday, June 8, 2008

TWO FESTS, TWO AWARDS, ONE HELLUVA DAY

My day could not have started off better. After just a few hours of sleep, I was awakened by a call from the awards director at the Newport International Film Festival, who wanted to make sure I'd be at the Awards Ceremony later that morning. I told her I was in Jackson Hole but not to worry, Mike was still in Rhode Island. She asked for his cell number and hinted that it would be very beneficial if he appeared at the awards ceremony.

Later, while I was taping an interview, Mike texted me that we had won the coveted Audience Award for Best Feature. Our second such award. I shared the news with the interviewer and camera crew and went back to hamming it up before the lens.

Moments later, I ran into James and we headed into Studio One for our 12:30 screening, which James introduced. He was very funny, mentioning how even though he's a festival board member, was unaware we'd submitted the film and been accepted. When he saw our film's title on the list, he thought "Huh. I think I did a movie not long ago with the same title." The film started on time before a mostly packed house and played quite well, I think. James and I sat next to each other and I was pleased to hear him actually laughing along with the audience.

Afterwards, he stayed for a brief moment for the Q&A, then rushed off to a screenwriting panel on which he was a participant. I'd say 99% of the audience stayed for the Q&A which went on for about 20 more minutes. Great questions from a great audience.

I sneaked into the panel thirty minutes late. When James saw me pointing a camera in his direction, he pretended to be asleep while another panelist was speaking. I've instead decided to share with you the picture of him cracking his fellow panelists up with a witty (and insightful) response to a question.

When the panel was over I headed down to the square for a burger at Billy's Burgers then a little gift shopping for my son Josh's 20th birthday tomorrow.

It was back to the Center for the Arts and a quick drink with friends before settling into the main theater for the awards ceremony, where Melanie and Cevin handed out really cool Remingtonesque Cowboy Statues to winning filmmakers. About halfway through the ceremony, Melanie announces that they added a new category this year: Best Pre-recorded Acceptance Speech. You see, in anticipation of many filmmakers not being in attendence we were all asked to videotape a speech and send it in advance. So, one afternoon, Tom and I brainstormed and shot a few different approaches, the last of which we submitted and is included here below:



Well, I was shocked when they showed our speech to the entire crowd and then called my name to come up on stage and accept my very own Cowboy award. It was too surreal to give an acceptance speech for winning an award for an acceptance speech. Very Lewis Carroll. But very much appreciated.

Of course, the very fun day was followed by a very fun party. Which was followed by more partying at a nearby pub. I've really enjoyed this fest. Especially getting to know some of the other filmmakers like Kurt Kuenne, James Lester and Matt Merkovich -- the latter two pictured here with me showing off our 12" men.

I head back to LA in the morning and really need sleep. This is timestamped 11:59 but it's really 2:57 am. That way the blog entry date is for Sunday. There. Now you know my trick.

No comments: