Thursday, June 26, 2008

MG2008 - Day One

We arrived here in Philadelphia, well, actually Valley Forge... or maybe it's technically King of Prussia... in any case, we arrived in Pennsylvania late yesterday and settled in to the hotel which is surrounded by hundreds of MG's. There are mostly MGB's but numerous MGA's, a few MGC's, some T-series MG's and a handful of MGB GT's. Everytime I see a red MGB I think how nice it would have been to bring the film's little B here. Then reality sets in as I recall how much of an ordeal it would have been to drive it from Los Angeles.

The folks here, the MG enthuisiasts, are such a terrific group. Many have come up to me to let me know how excited they are to see the movie Friday night. I'm a nervous wreck! Even though the film has played beyond our expectations to festival audiences, this will be the first time a group of gear-heads and people who really know their way around an MGB will see our "Hollywood" attempt at MG restoration!

I spent a chunk of the day with my son Josh seeing the Valley Forge National Park, a gorgeous and historic site that we could easily have spent more time exploring.

At dinner time it was off to the MG BBQ. Rather than write about it, I thought I'd share a brief video of the experience so you can actually see some of the cars. But first, a word to those at MG2008 who see this: I noticed that I keep incorrectly referring to all MG's as "MGB's" -- it's not so much a B bias, but rather me trying to do a video in one take without a cameraman, sound mixer, script supervisor, editor, you know, all the people who typically keep me from making too many mistakes! Anyway, take a look...

No comments: