Monday, October 13, 2008

SEDONA FILM FESTIVAL - Day One

I was particularly excited about returning to Sedona to screen SHERMAN’S WAY during the festival’s Second Tuesday series. As I mentioned earlier on this blog, I had been to the festival years and years ago with another film and it has long held a special place in my heart among film fests. Add on top of that Joaquin Sedillo (our DP) still had tons of family living in his hometown of nearby Flagstaff and were certain to attend, I knew Mike and I were in for a fun couple of days.

After arriving at the huge Phoenix airport, I hopped into my (generously provided) rental car for the two-hour drive to Sedona. (BTW, have you noticed the trend at rental car companies lately? They seem to run out of the compact or midsize car you reserved the second you arrive, and offer to “upgrade” you to a gas-guzzling SUV. It’s happened to me 6 times in the last couple months. This time I insisted they honor the reservation, and they eventually found for me an economy car that resembled a bright red roller skate that “whistled” loudly whenever I exceeded 30 mph.)

The scenery got increasingly beautiful as I neared the Red Rock desert city and, aside from a plethora of construction workers buzzing around a series of brand new roundabouts, the town looked exactly as I recalled. As I checked into the L’Auberge de Sedona (this fest really knows how to spoil filmmakers!) I was taken by the amazing views surrounding the luxury resort. I snapped a picture of the view from my cabin (above).

Fest director Pat Schweiss called to make sure I was settled in and asked if I needed anything. I looked around the sumptuous room replete with King Size bed, wood-burning fireplace, big screen TV, spa bathtub and a private porch overlooking a duck-filled stream. “I could really use an additional 5 days here!” “We’d be delighted,” was Pat’s cheerful reply. I, of course was kidding. Not sure if Pat was.

The hotel was hosting its nightly wine and cheese reception (anytime you put the words “wine” “cheese” and “free” together… I’m there) in the main lobby and I was joined for a drink with my old friend from Australia, actor/writer Gerard Maguire. It was great seeing him after way too many years. We continued our visit over dinner at the nearby Cowboy Club and promised to get together again tomorrow after the screening when his wife Jane Alsobrook could join us. Jane and I worked together years ago (she in distribution, I in production) -- she’s a legend in the independent film world.

No comments: