Friday, February 29, 2008

CINEQUEST - Our World Premiere!

Began the day with a quick bite before the four of us headed over to the REP for a day of panels, the first of which was Independent Film Publicity. On the panel was none other than our own PR guy, Jim Dobson of IndiePR. We sat in the front row with our SW swag daring the panel not to mention our film -- which they did. Numerous times! Thanks Jens! Thanks Jim!

The subsequent panels were mostly tired war stories and cautionary tales. It amused me how seriously the panelists took themselves as they admonished the filmmakers in the audience about keeping their expectations real. "This is not Sundance." "Your film is not LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE." No shit. And you are not Fox Searchlight dipwad. One of the few panelists that had something to say that day was Elliot Kotek from Moving Pictures Magazine. His comments were insightful and applicable.

As the sun went down, my heart rate increased exponentially. Joaquin picked up Rico at the airport and Brooke arrived a little too close to showtime for my taste, but I was thrilled they were there. Mike and I met up with some terrific folks from the local MG Club and we all hopped into our vintage MGB's and caravanned through downtown San Jose, turning heads in the process.

I was asked if I wanted to say something before the screening, and with nothing planned, jumped on stage and thanked everyone for showing up. It was the first audience to see our little movie, and I asked if they wouldn't mind huddling together for a group picture. All 550 of them. They obliged and I hopped down and enjoyed the movie for the first time. Ever.

The packed audience roared with laughter from the get go. I was stunned. Did they really think it was this funny? They were stepping over dialog with their laughter. Oh, I had forgotten that was a joke. That too. Maybe I need to re-cut to allow for laughs. What am I high? The thought of going back into the cutting room is insane.

I had never been able to watch the film as an audience member before tonight. And I had to admit it: I enjoyed myself. It was indeed, a fun night. The Q&A after the film was almost as much fun. The majority of the audience stayed and asked question after question. It's the sort of give and take filmmakers thrive on. At least I do.

No comments: